Woman in hospital after oven-cleaner hiccup remedy mixup

A FEMALE diner is in intensive care in hospital after staff at a Gold Coast restaurant accidentally gave her oven cleaner to cure her hiccups.

The woman, believed to be in her 40s, swallowed the corrosive liquid on May 30.

She had been finishing up a meal with a friend at The Point Restaurant at Paradise Point last week when she began hiccuping uncontrollably.

A helpful staffer advised that vinegar was an instant cure and called for a small glass of the liquid from the kitchen.

The woman downed the clear liquid that was given to her and began choking as horrified staff realised they had accidentally poured out oven cleaner instead of vinegar.

It is understood a small bottle of cleaning fluid positioned beside a large bottle of vinegar may have been picked up in error.

Read more on the Gold Coast Bulletin



A parent's guide to the Falls Festival 2019 line up

premium_icon A parent's guide to the Falls Festival 2019 line up

Don't know your Halseys from your Banks?

Beast Machine shows off first single

premium_icon Beast Machine shows off first single

Northern Rivers hard rock band is going on tour

Is your animal fit to load?

premium_icon Is your animal fit to load?

Producers urged to take care when selecting livestock for transport