It's official! Warwick's home to the world's best steak
WARWICK has steaked its claim to beef fame on the world stage.
A Wagyu, finished at a Rose City feed lot, has been named the world's best steak at the World Steak Challenge in London.
The winning steak, produced by Jack's Creek Wagyu, was finished at Warwick's Maydan Feedlot.
For Maydan operators, the recognition of the product of their successful feeding program was a reflection on the quality of both their operation and employees.
Feedlot owner Geoff Willett said he had a great feeling of pride at the win.
"The secret to success comes down to the feed and the dedication and pride in the work done by my staff," he said.
"It's a credit to my staff that look after the cattle."
The winning Wagyu was fed for 450 days at Maydan, starting on a wheat-based ration before finishing on a corn and corn-homily based ration.
With a marbling score of eight, the winning steak edged out competitors from 14 countries.
The Warmoll family from Jacks Creek were the first Wagyu customers at Maydan, and for Mr Willett, their win represents 20 years of hard work at the feedlot.
"I'd like to congratulate the Warmoll family on their success on the world stage," Mr Willett said.
Patrick Warmoll told the Daily News they selected Maydan for several reasons.
"Firstly for the proximity to the abattoir in Casino and because Geoff was feeding EU accredited - he was prepared to give it a go," he said
"Our winning wagyu was bred at Big Jacobs Creek at Willow Tree, then spent time at Breezer Plains before being grain fed at Maydan."
Mr Warmoll said their winning entry had the edge over the Wagyu competition.
"Our steak had fine marbling characteristics, a genetic trait we select for and Geoff's feeding encourages that," he said.
"70-75% of our EU production cattle are bred by ourselves, the other 25% are sourced from people like Geoff."
At any one time, Maydan can have 9000 cattle - 7000 of which are Wagyu.
"We have some very good quality cattle that come in," Mr Willett said.
"Depending on the time of year, as soon as they are gone they are replaced with more Wagyu from the same customer."
Maydan wasn't the only Warwick connection in the winner's circle in London.
Rangers Valley, who process their steak at John Dee in Warwick, were awarded silver and gold standard at the World Steak Challenge. The company's Black Onyx was the only Australian product awarded a silver standard, while the Black Market brand was given the gold standard.
Andrew Moore from Rangers Valley said the win was a significant achievement. "We're very proud of this result - it is great recognition for all the hard work and dedication by the entire team," he said.