Why not take on some green resolutions this New Year?
THE New Year usually brings plenty of resolutions to do things differently; however, many of these good intentions don't survive the summer.
The Householders' Options to Protect the Environment, however, have put out some ideas for some "green resolutions".
HOPE president Frank Ondrus said these tips are simple to implement yet can have lasting benefits for individuals, families and the community:
- Aim for a chemical-free household, using natural cleaning products and recipes
- Commit to organic gardening
- Conscientiously recycle paper, cardboard, cans, bottles, plastic containers and hazardous items
- Use green waste from your garden in mulching, composting or worm-farming.
- Think about installing solar power.
- Install a rainwater tank.
- Walk or ride a bike once a week on a journey you would normally drive.
- Support events such as Clean Up Australia Day, Earth Hour, Landcare Week and National Recycling Week
- Join a local conservation or environment group, Landcare or animal welfare group - check your local council's community directory.
Further information on living sustainably can be found at www.hopeaustralia.org.au.