Why council has hiked asbestos dumping fees for non-locals
KYOGLE Council has voted to increase its asbestos dumping fees for anyone living outside the local government area.
It is the third Northern Rivers council to tighten restrictions on disposal of the hazardous material.
Lismore City Council announced earlier this year it was no longer accepting asbestos at its Recycling & Recovery Centre on Wyrallah Rd, and Richmond Valley Council is only accepting small packages of asbestos from ratepayers within their local government area at the Nammoona Landfill Facility.
The decisions by Lismore and Richmond Valley councils led to an increase in demand from businesses and residents to use the Kyogle Landfill Facility.
At a recent council meeting, Kyogle Council staff sought councillors' approval to adopt a new fee structure for disposal of asbestos.
"The consequence of LCC and RVC's actions is that the number of requests to dispose of asbestos at the Kyogle Landfill Facility from businesses and residents located in the Lismore, Richmond Valley, Ballina and Byron Bay local government areas has increased exponentially,” the report states.
"This is resulting in disruption to council's core service provision and increased costs to council.
"The new fee schedule could be reviewed when and if LCC and RVC lift the current moratoriums on disposal of asbestos at their landfill facilities.
The fees for disposal of asbestos at the Kyogle Landfill at Council's nominated time will be as follows:
- Small wrapped parcels (less than 2 square metres) - per load: $18 for Kyogle LGA residents, $23 for others
- Medium wrapped parcels (2 - 10 square metres) - per load: $96 for Kyogle LGA residents, $120 for others
- Large wrapped loads (greater than 10 square metres) - per tonne: $315 for Kyogle LGA residents, $394 for others
- The fees for disposal of large loads of asbestos outside Council's nominated time will be as follows:
- Fees for Disposal of Large Loads of Asbestos by Special Appointment (greater than 10 square metres): $499 plus $315 per tonne for Kyogle LGA residents, $499 plus $394 per tonne for others.