What Trump's ban means for Aussie dual citizens
FOREIGN Minister Julie Bishop says she is 'working closely' with the US as Australians holding dual-citizenship with nations on the US banned list are being denied entry.
Ms Bishop said she had "two very constructive conversations" with Vice President Mike Pence about the migration ban.
Trump signed an executive order on Friday temporarily suspending the entry of citizens of Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Iran, Somalia, Libya and Yemen into the US for at least 90 days, a move he billed as an effort to make America safe from "radical Islamic terrorists."
He also suspended the US refugee program for 120 days and ordered his administration to develop "extreme vetting" measures for migrants from the seven countries.
On Saturday, a US judge issued a temporary halt to the deportation of visa holders or refugees stranded at US airports. The emergency decision blocks part of Trump's controversial executive order.
"I have had two very constructive conversations now over the past two days with Vice President Mike Pence and he reiterated the significance of the Australian and United States relationship," Bishop said in Los Angeles, where she has been attending G'Day USA.
"He was very well briefed on all of the details of the United States and Australian alliance and I am confident that we will continue to build our alliance and it will continue to go from strength to strength."
Bishop would not confirm if any Australians had been denied entry to the US under the Muslim ban, but said "consular staff are working closely with the United States officials."
Meanwhile, UK Foreign Minister Boris Johnson has also been in touch with US officials. His office has released a statement clarifying that only dual citizens travelling from one of the nations on the banned list itself would be subject to the President's travel orders.
THE Presidential executive order only applies to individuals travelling from one of the seven named countries.
IF you are travelling to the US from anywhere other than one of those countries (for instance, the UK) the executive order does not apply to you and you will experience no extra checks regardless of your nationality or your place of birth.
Statement on what the Presidential exec order on inbound migration to US means to Brit nationals/dual nationals. https://t.co/1vpjcXbZBg— Boris Johnson (@BorisJohnson) January 29, 2017
IF you are a UK national who happens to be travelling from one of those countries to the US, then the order does not apply to you - even if you were born in one of those countries.
IF you are a dual citizen of one of those countries trvelling to the US from OUTSIDE those countries then the order does not apply to you.
THE only dual nationals who might have extra checks are those coming from one of the seven countries themselves - for example a UK-Libya dual national coming from Libya to the US.
HANSON, HINCH: 'THERE'S GOT TO BE MORE TO IT'
Pauline Hanson has praised Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull for managing to pull off a refugee agreement with US President Donald Trump but believes there is more to the deal.
Given his executive order to restrict immigration, the One Nation leader has questioned why President Trump would agree to resettle an undisclosed number of asylum seekers currently in Australia's offshore detention centres.
"Why would Donald Trump agree to this," Senator Hanson said on Channel Seven's Sunrise program this morning.
"There has got to be more to this, just look at it.
"He's put bans on people coming into the country from certain countries, he is also halting the refugee program in America.
"I'm just asking the question, is there more to this than what we are made aware of? It will come out in the end."
Independent senator Derryn Hinch told Sunrise he thought President Trump's immigration ban made a "sick joke" of the Statue of Liberty's message "send us your humble masses".
Senator Hinch also said he was surprised the President agreed to honour his predecessor's refugee agreement with the Turnbull Government.
"In that climate, yes, I am surprised that he did the deal with the refugees here, whether it's 1000 or 2000 we do not know," he said.
"We don't know what to do in reply, or how much it costs, we don't know yet."
Ms Bishop said she remained confident the government's refugee resettlement deal, signed with the previous Obama administration, would proceed despite strong signals from the White House that it will be scuppered.
She said she had spoken with Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull since his first conversation with President Trump.
"He was very pleased with the call it was very war, it was very engaging. They discussed a whole range of bilateral, regional and global issues," she said.
TRADE, RESEARCH IN TURMOIL
Australian technology companies have called on the federal government to condemn Donald Trump's US visa changes, which they say will impact staff.
According to industry group TechSydney, a number of employees in the city's tech sector are affected by the weekend decision, including dual-nationals working in and visiting the US.
HotelsCombined CEO Hichame Assi, a dual national British-Syrian who moved to Australia in 2008, can't travel to the US for the next 90 days even though he has a valid visa.
"We employ people of all nationalities, including dual-nationality Australians," Mr Assi said in a statement on Monday.
"These developments in the US are not only disruptive to our business and our people, they're very troubling and are creating more tensions at a time when empathy is required."
KEEP YOUR FRIENDS CLOSE...
Former Prime Minister Bob Hawke urged Australian and world leaders not to isolate new US president Donald Trump.
The former Labor leader said the US president's rule is now "a fact of life" and world leaders must accept that.
"I think we should hold our hand out to Trump and say, 'You've been elected, we accept that, and we want to talk confidently with you'," he told the Nine Network's 60 Minutes program.
"If he is isolated by definition he's going to rely on his own attitude and resources and ideas." Mr Hawke said the world was in a "terrible situation" where there was not one outstanding leader anymore at a time when it's needed more than ever.
The iconic Australian returned to the current affairs program with his wife Blanche d'Alpuget in a sequel to their controversial 1995 interview.
The interview with Roger Woolley, who also conducted their joint chat more than 20 years ago, covered a ranged of topics.
Ms d'Alpuget revealed in the update to their polarising love story, she didn't know who her future husband was when they met.
"But we sat down together on one of those swinging chairs and talked for about two hours.
"He was such an interesting man. and he was just of very good character. I perceived that immediately."
Ms d'Alpuget was blamed for the breakdown of Mr Hawke's marriage with his first wife Hazel.
"The fact that I was a writer and an international career out of the picture was simply airbrushed and I was portrayed as Bob's much-younger trophy wife," she said.
Mr Hawke also revealed his softer side by singing to his wife.
He also spoke about his love for cricket and beer after being given a standing ovation at the SCG earlier this month after skolling a drink.
"Without being sentimental, the Australian people, I really love what is between us," he said.
"There's a genuine rapport. Skolling a beer and the concept of an ex-PM seems to appeal to them."