When Lauren couldn’t get her 12-day-old son Harrison to settle – she made a decision she would regret for the rest of her life.
When Lauren couldn’t get her 12-day-old son Harrison to settle – she made a decision she would regret for the rest of her life.

'We didn’t mean to fall asleep with him'

Every parent knows how exhausting it is when a newborn just won't settle - you will do whatever it takes to help them get back to sleep.

This is exactly what Lauren Jordan was going through with 12-day-old son Harrison on June 3.

The mother-of-four had fed Harrison two bottles - one earlier that evening and another at about 10.30pm - but her baby boy still wouldn't settle.

The 23-year-old decided to bring Harrison into her and her partner, Kieran Jones' bed while they watched television until he fell asleep and then she had every intention to put him back in his cot.

But the mum, from Sussex in England, woke several hours later to her absolute worst nightmare.

"I woke up at about 4 to 4.20am. I looked into his cot as I was pretty sure I had dozed off before Kieran and I thought he would have put him back," she told the Archbishop's Palace court in Maidstone on October 4, Kent Live reported.

"But he was not there and then I looked over at Kieran and he was in exactly the same position as when he fell asleep and Harrison was in the middle on his back.

"I could just tell from his colour that he was not breathing - he was not warm - but he was not cold.

"I just knew and I started shouting 'no, no'. At that point I woke Kieran up."

The coroner's court heard how Kieran performed CPR for up to 15 minutes on his precious son before the paramedics arrived and took over.

But heartbreakingly, baby Harrison was pronounced dead in the early hours of June 4.

Assistant coroner Scott Matthewson said the parents had a chance to say goodbye to their little boy in what he described as a "very sad case."

He said evidence led him to conclude Harrison's death was accidental.

Pathologist Dr Mudher Al-Adrani told the court Harrison was the victim of "unexplained death in infancy" - but it was "possible he had either been smothered by his sleeping parents or their warm bodies had caused his body temperature to rise" which can lead to a baby's death, Kent Live reported.

Mr Matthewson said the "heartbreaking" accident was a warning to all parents not to take their babies into bed with them.

He added that this important message needed to be repeated time and again.

Following the unbearable loss of her baby boy, Lauren could not stress enough to other parents that it is vital to always put babies in their own cots.

"We did not intend to fall asleep with him - but we were exhausted and it just happened," she told Kent Live.

"Sometimes it is nice to get that bond. But people need to speak out to stop this happening to other parents."

This article originally appeared on Kidspot and has been republished here with permission.

News Corp Australia


PM criticises Byron Bay's Australia Day change

PM criticises Byron Bay's Australia Day change

"Indulgent self-loathing does not make Australia stronger," he said

When 'looking scary' is your winning strategy for poker

premium_icon When 'looking scary' is your winning strategy for poker

Northern Rivers team prepares for Deaf Poker Australia championships

Lismore hospital one of four to trial new initiative

Lismore hospital one of four to trial new initiative

A new role will be created to free up doctors and nurses time

Local Partners