Fires a warning for those warming up in winter
WITH the loss of four Northern Rivers homes to fire in just over two weeks, emergency services are warning people to be careful when heating their homes this winter while also highlighting the importance of smoke alarms.
Inspector Boyd Townsend of the Rural Fire Service Northern Rivers said electrical heaters are a common cause of fire breaking out in homes.
"Make sure you're not putting clothes on or near heaters," he said.
"Wood fires and their flues too, they can cause fire if they're not maintained properly."
According to Insp Townsend, making sure your home is fitted with functioning smoke alarms is also critical.
"Smoke alarms need to be installed because it gives people that early warning that there is a problem when they are asleep and gives them a greater chance of survival."