Warning activists may return to Southern Downs tonight
THE Green Shirts Movement Queensland have warned farmers to be on high alert as they have received information about a potential protest on the Southern Downs as soon as tonight.
In a statement posted to Facebook, the group said individuals already known to the police were planning action, which may take place from tonight or throughout the weekend.
The statement claimed the action may target the poultry industry on the Southern Downs but may target other industries and happen simultaneously.
Warwick Police officer-in-charge Jamie Deacon said police were unaware of any specific action but urged landowners to always keep an eye out.
"Farmers are always urged to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activity to police or Crime Stoppers and if anyone accesses their place unlawfully call the police," Senior Sergeant Deacon said.
In a statement released earlier this year, the Queensland Police suggested the following considerations for dealing with protesters on your property:
- Ensure fences are in place and secure, consider using trespass signs.
- Take immediate steps to ensure the safety of yourself and any non-protester on the property.
- Consider calling 000 immediately and providing details to the operator.
- If safe to do so, approach the protesters and try to identify the person of authority within them.
- If self-defence is necessary, your response must be proportionate to the behaviour of the protesters.
- Police have the right to physically remove the protesters from your property.