Urbenville marks centenary of St Mark's Anglican Church
THE residents of Urbenville have united to celebrate the centenary of the St Mark's Anzac War Memorial Anglican Church in Beaury St Urbenville.
St Marks was originally dedicated on April 25, 1915, the day of the Gallipoli landing by the Anzacs.
Now, 100 years on, 100 people attended a special church service that was officiated by Archdeacon Sally Miller, Deacon Ron Miller and retiring local priest, Reverend Thea Archinal.
Visitors included Tenterfield Shire Council Mayor Peter Petty and councillors Gary Verri, Mary Leahy, Toni Hull, Carol Schiffman and past parishioners who then commemorated the Anzac tradition by planting and dedicating a Lone Pine seeding (sourced from the Australian War Museum) in the church grounds.
The original small wooden church served the community of Urbenville faithfully until a freakish whirlwind blew the roof off in the spring of 1963.
Plans had already been in the offing to construct a new church and the original one was to be relocated to the rear of the land and be utilised as a hall.
The destruction of the old church altered these plans.
On April 25, 1965 the Anzac connection continued with the foundation stone for the new building being laid.
As on that day, a display containing the original church door and other items supplied by the local historical society is on display set in the foyer of the church.
This display will remain available for viewing on Sundays until mid June.
- RICHMOND RIVER EXPRESS EXAMINER