Trucking industry asks for more time on road safety order
THE trucking industry has been given a six day window to convince the Road Safety Remuneration Tribunal to delay the implementation of the latest road safety remuneration order.
The Tribunal’s most recent order, which comes into effect from April 4, will introduce national minimum rates of pay for owner drivers as well as complex auditing obligations for supply chain participants such as supermarkets.
“Since the Tribunal’s decision last December, there has been widespread confusion in the industry about who the order applies to and what it will mean for the thousands of small ‘mum and dad’ trucking companies, which play a vital role in the Australian transport industry,” NSW Business Chamber Chief Executive Officer, Stephen Cartwright said.
“Because the order imposes a two-tier system of payments in the road transport industry, many small companies have been told that their services will no longer be required after April 4.
“Last week, the NSW Business Chamber and more than 30 other interested parties filed applications calling for the order to be delayed.
Refusal for interim stay
“In an urgent hearing held yesterday, the Tribunal refused to grant an interim stay, but said that it would hold a further hearing over the Easter long weekend to determine whether the starting date for the order should be delayed until January 1, 2017.
“The Tribunal will also consider whether it should insert transitional provisions into the order to phase in the minimum rates.”
Mr Cartwright said the industry has been given until midday on Monday to file submissions in support of a delay and the phasing-in of minimum rates.
“The NSW Business Chamber is urging all businesses that will be adversely affected by the order to put their concerns in writing to the Tribunal before Monday,” he said.
The NSW Business Chamber continues to be represented in this matter by workplace law firm, Australian Business Lawyers & Advisors.