Trouser snake takes George by surprise
GEORGE the Snake Man is used to handling snakes. After a bite-free 12 years handling the slippery serpents, he didn't expect his first bite to come from a venomous red-belly black snake.
George was ready to give Northern Star readers advice on the current snake season. But instead of dropping in to see us yesterday, a job on Tuesday night saw him end up in hospital with a new story to tell.
“I was called out to Byron around 10.30pm to get a snake out of a car engine,” George said.
“Police officers and I were searching for the snake, but I couldn't see it at first. With torchlight we discovered the snake tucked away in the brake cylinder.”
George then did what he was trained to do. He grabbed the snake by the head in the correct manner and slowly pulled it out.
“Suddenly the snake let loose,” George said.
“I lost my balance and fell backwards to the ground with the snake still firmly in my hands.
“When I stood up I knew something wasn't right.”
George then asked the police officer to pull down his pants, as he felt a weird sensation on the inside of his right thigh.
“It wasn't a painful. It felt like lemon juice on an open wound,” George said.
George, who praised the police officers for their help, was taken first to the Byron, and then Tweed hospital for treatment, before being released yesterday afternoon.