Menu
News

Plans for topless booze bar shelved

CONTROVERSIAL: Plans for a topless bar at this Fletcher Street location have been abandoned.
CONTROVERSIAL: Plans for a topless bar at this Fletcher Street location have been abandoned. The Northern Star Archives

THE controversial proposal to open a topless bar in Byron Bay appears to have been shelved after an application to transfer its liquor licence was unexpectedly withdrawn.

The Independent Liquor & Gaming Authority, which had to approve the transfer from La Playa Tapas Bar to Bay Enterprises that was to operate the Bay at Byron topless bar in Fletcher St, said late yesterday the parties did not want to proceed with the application.

"The Independent Liquor & Gaming Authority advises that the liquor licence transfer application was refused after the parties ceased to consent to the application," it said.

The Northern Star was unable to contact either party before the paper went to press yesterday.

The proposal, which would have seen the topless bar remain open until 7am, caused a storm of controversy when it was revealed earlier this month.

An ILGA representative previously told The Northern Star it had received submissions from the council, police and the Last Drinks at 12 group.

Mayor Simon Richardson led the charge against the proposal, describing it as "not acceptable to our community on social impact grounds" and could exacerbate alcohol-fuelled violence by young male patrons.

Yesterday he described ILGA's statement as "fantastic news".

"This is testament that when our community speaks with one voice - individuals, business and council - that we are a very strong force to be reckoned with in promoting and maintaining the integrity of our community.

"This is the third piece of good news in 12 months in terms of highly inappropriate and exploitative development applications that were trading on our good name."

Topics:  bar planning topless



Arrests 'likely' after savage street brawls on the Plateau

A 16-year-old boy is alleged to have struck a 17-year-old boy in the head with a golf club during a brawl at Wollongbar at 2am on Saturday.

Fight was pre-arranged on social media, according to police

Alstonville scholarship student arrested over street brawl

Kit Geoffrey Conlan, 18, appeared at Lismore Local Court yesterday over his alleged involvement in a street fight on Saturday.

Teenager charged over role in alleged alcohol, drug-fuelled fights

No licence for 30 years, caught driving 9 times over limit

Police breath test drink driver who was found to be nearly nine times the limit for an unlicensed driver.

52-year-old has been charged with high range drink driving

Local Partners