Top 10 things to do and markets
1. Stars of Lismore - Dance For Cancer: Cancer Council NSW will host the first Stars of Lismore - Dance For Cancer event, featuring twelve well-known community members, each paired with local dance instructors who will perform a dance routine in a variety of styles and perform at the gala night today from 6pm at the Lismore Workers Club, 231 Keen St, Lismore.
2. The World's Largest Open House: The World's Largest Open House is the inaugural event for NSW Kids in Need Foundation, an organisation that fundraises for six kid's charities (Bear Cottage Children's Hospice, Central Coast Kids In Need, Duke of Edinburgh's International Award - Australia, Muscular Dystrophy NSW, SHINE For Kids, The Burns Unit at the Children's Hospital at Westmead). Visitors will be able to enter the Lismore Fire Station and explore the venue with a chance to give donations. Please wear flat closed toe shoes. At the Lismore Fire Station, 139 - 141 Molesworth St, Lismore, from 10am - 2pm today. Entry by donation.
3. Byron Bay to Ballina Charity Walk: This fundraising event for the Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter starts at Denning Park in Byron Bay, loops around Cape Byron Lighthouse, and follows the coastline through to Ballina. Participants can choose to finish at Broken Head (12km), Lennox Head (24km) or Ballina (35km). The walks are an all-terrain challenge across sand, bush track, and roads and should not be underestimated. Participants can walk or run at any pace in this non-competitive social event. Minimum age is 12 years old (accompanied by a paying adult). Tomorrow at Bay St, Byron Bay, from 7am. For details visit the event's website.
4. Rebuild Nepal Benefit Concert with Toni Childs: After a recent tour to Nepal, Toni and her crew flew out just 36 hours before the first earthquake hit. They invite the local community to help Nepal with 100% of the funds raised going directly to organizations and people on the ground the zones affected by the recent earthquakes. At The Crystal Castle, 81 Monet Dr, Mullumbimby, today from 3pm - 7pm. $25 + booking fee. Click here to visit Toni Child's fundraising page.
5. Federal Family Fun Day: This is a great chance to see what the local community children's centre has to offer. A raffle will be drawn at 12.30pm. Visitors can enjoy entertainment, art and craft activity stalls, a games area, food stalls, a pre-loved items market, and more. By supporting the not-for-profit centre you will be helping them to fundraise for a UV filtration for drinking water and outdoor cover for wet weather. At the Federal Community Children's Centre, Federal, tomorrow from 9am until 1pm.
6. Alstonville Main Street Family Fun Day: This year the Alstonville Lions Club, Alstonville Apex Club and Alstonville Wollongbar Chamber of Commerce will combine their efforts to close the main street of Alstonville for a Family Fun Day. There is something for everyone including the Main Street Markets, fun rides, face painting for the kids, live music, and entertainment. Special features will include the Federal Hotel's Birthday and the Lions Club Pig Races. At Main St, Alstonville, tomorrow an all-day event. For details visit the event's website.
7. Beef Week: The second weekend of the biggest event of the year in Casino is full of fantastic activities for the whole family: From the street festival and markets this morning from 8am, the Kids' Alley in Canterbury St, the Show-n-Shine Car Show in Walker St, the Woodchop Competition in Barker St and the Mr Beef competition from 5pm at the Casino RSM today. Do not miss tomorrow's Fly-In Muster at the Casino Aerodrome. At different locations in Casino this weekend. For details visit Beef Week's website.
8. World Environment Day Photography Exhibition: 'Our Environment is Golden' id the theme for this year's World Environment Day Photography Exhibition, organised by Brunswick Valley Landcare and Byron Shire Council. Students from Brunswick Heads Primary School will display images taken at the Suffolk Park Dunecare and Saltwater Creek (Mullumbimby) Landcare sites. Photographs will be displayed at various venues in Brunswick Heads during World Environment Day on Friday, June 5, and the Old and Gold Festival on Saturday, June 6. For details visit Byron Shire Council's website.
9. A Night at the Opera: OperaQ presents Open Stage, High Notes, and A Night at the Opera. Pre-event entertainment by Brian Pamphilon. Enjoy a concert of arias and songs at Ballina RSL Club with Opera Queensland's High Notes. OperaQ has been thrilling audiences with high-quality concerts and Opera performances for many years. Whether you are an opera enthusiast, music lover or just up for the adventure of new experiences, there's something for you in this full concert starring three of OperaQ's fine singers and their accompanist. At the Ballina RSL Club Anchorage Lounge today. Show from 8.30pm. $85.90.
10. 2015 National Little League Championships: Lismore is hosting the 2015 Little League National Championships. Little League is the world's largest youth sports program, and 2015 marks its ninth year in Australia. The Championships will feature twenty All-Star Little League teams from across Australia over a six-day tournament. The winning team will receive automatic qualification for the Little League World Series in Pennsylvania, USA. At Albert Park, Keen St, Lismore, from Thursday, June 4, until Tuesday, June 9. Free Event.
- Alstonville Farmers Market, Bugden Ln car park, Alstonville.
- Lismore Farmers Market, Lismore Showground.
- Uki Farmers market every Saturday morning.
- Kyogle Farmers Market, Stratheden St Kyogle.
- Blue Knob Farmers Market, 719 Blue Knob Rd, Lillian Rock.
- Bangalow Farmers Market, 1 Byron St, Bangalow
- Drake Hall Markets, Community Hall, Bruxner Hwy, Drake
- Yowie Country Markets, Community Public Hall, Unumgar St, Woodenbong.
- Lennox Head Market, Pacific Pde, Lake Ainsworth.
- Nimbin Market, Cullen St
- Missingham Bridge Markets, Missingham Bridge, Kingsford Dr, Ballina
- Woodburn Market, Riverside Park, Woodburn
For more events around the Northern Rivers visit our Things to Do section.