DIY brand brings national exposure
THE Chronicle's story about three Toowoomba mates who branded their bums with a fire poker went viral today, with nationwide exposure.
Luke Moroney, 21, Blair Cooper, 21, and Joel Austen, 18, phoned paramedics after waking up at lunchtime on Sunday with hangovers and third-degree burns to their bum cheeks.
A miscommunication sparked a major turnout of emergency services to an explosion-type incident with multiple casualties.
The three red-faced men were left to explain to officers they had in fact branded themselves with a fire poker while drinking around a bonfire in the early hours of Sunday morning.
Mr Moroney said the trio was bombarded with messages from friends and media after the story appeared in The Chronicle and on its website today.
"I woke up (yesterday) morning with 37 missed calls," he said.
"I've been on CFM radio and interviewed by Channel Nine and Channel Seven.
"All my mates just laugh about it, I'm going out with a bang."
The trio was due to go to hospital yesterday afternoon.
The original story ...
THREE Toowoomba mates who branded their bums while drinking around a bonfire sparked a major turnout of emergency services on Sunday.
Luke Moroney, 21, Blaire Cooper, 21, and Joel Austen, 18, decided to call paramedics after waking up at lunchtime with hangovers and third-degree burns to their bum cheeks.
The trio had to peel their underwear off their blistered burns and wait for help.
However, a miscommunication caused multiple paramedics, fire crews and police to respond to an explosion-type incident with multiple casualties.
With sirens surrounding their North St home, some personnel saw the funny side of their explanation.
"Some couldn't stop laughing and took photos on their iPhones," Mr Austen said.
Mr Moroney said he didn't quite know why the group had decided to brand themselves with the red-hot fire poker at a party in the early hours of yesterday.
"I remember putting it (the poker) on my bum cheek then running straight to the dog water dish (to cool off)," he said.
"Now I have to go to the doctor tomorrow because it is infected."
Paramedics left the sore trio with some antiseptic cream and dressings.
Mr Moroney, who is moving to Melbourne tomorrow, said he would now have to buy a doughnut pillow for his flight interstate.