Tips to help share the road
BICYCLES are classified as vehicles under the road rules and are allowed on the roads, so it is important for motorists and cyclists to share the streets safely.
The Bicycle Federation of Australia has some tips to help motorists drive safely around cyclists:
• Always check for people on bikes before changing lanes, turning left or reversing.
• When parked, check before opening your car door.
• Make sure there is a one-metre gap when overtaking a cyclist.
• If the road is too narrow, wait until there is sufficient space to pass safely.
There are also some useful tips for bike riders, including:
• Always wear a helmet and wear bright or light-coloured clothing.
• Ride at a speed which suits the road conditions.
• Stop at all red lights and stop signs and don't ride more than two abreast.
• Be aware of vehicles and check for people in parked cars who may open their doors without looking.
• Join a cycling club or bicycle user group to improve your riding skills and get tips on safe cycling techniques.
for more information