Third death linked to iconic Australian brand of cheese

ANOTHER food-poisoning death has been linked to an iconic Australian cheese company.

The Victorian health department confirmed on Sunday a 68-year-old man who died from listeriosis in January had eaten a contaminated product from the Jindi's Gippsland factory.

A bacteria outbreak in batches of camembert and brie had already been linked two other deaths and a miscarriage and is believed to be responsible for more than 20 cases of listeriosis.

According to Better Health, Listeria bacteria are most likely to infect cheese, raw vegetables, deli meats and some seafood.

Infection is particularly dangerous for pregnant women, people with immune deficiencies and the elderly.

Early symptoms include fever, headache, tiredness, aches and pains.

Jindi, which also produces cheeses for the Coles and Wattle Valley brands, has voluntarily recalled all products manufactured before January 6.

Cheese dated within the affected period should be thrown out or returned to the supermarket for a refund.

For more information phone 1800 680 175.



Crews called to grass fire on North Coast

Crews called to grass fire on North Coast

The fire is currently listed as "being controlled”

Vessel washed to sea, destroyed in overnight incident

Vessel washed to sea, destroyed in overnight incident

Crew members had to jump from the sinking vessel

11 photos that prove spring is here

11 photos that prove spring is here

Spring is in the air, and our readers' photo reflect that this week

Local Partners