Surfrider Foundation founder says there will be more attacks
A LEADING beach expert has warned there will be more shark attacks, following two attacks at Ballina and Lennox Head in less than 24 hours last week.
Brad Farmer is the founder of National Surfing Reserves and World Surfing Reserves.
He also started the Surfrider Foundation Australia and instigated the first Shark Meshing Review Focus Group in 1992.
Mr Farmer has called for preventative measures and funding for scientific research after a great white attacked bodyboarder Mathew Lee at North Wall at Ballina on Thursday, and another shark bit Michael Hoile's surfboard at Lennox Point on Friday.
"Surfers on body boards and short boards are consistently the victims of attacks," he said.
Mr Farmer urged the government, police and Fisheries to change their approach from "hunting and culling to more sophisticated research and prevention to ensure the safety of all beach goers".
"At the very least, there needs to be some form of warning system in place before attacks take place," he said.
Mr Farmer said there had been an increase in attacks since legislation was introduced in the 1990s to protect six of the most vulnerable species of sharks including the great white.
Despite surfers being the most at risk of shark attacks, he said the majority of surfers were in favour of shark conservation.