Terrorism charges from Logan Islamic centre raid dropped

TERRORISM charges against a Queensland man which arose after a raid on a Islamic centre in Logan have been dropped.

Omar Succarieh, 33, had been set to face a Supreme Court trial next week charged with making funds available to a terrorist organisation but in a pre-trial hearing on Monday all terrorism offences were dropped.

He instead pleaded guilty to four foreign incursion charges.

He will be sentenced next month.

"Mr Succarieh is relieved the prosecution has withdrawn the terrorism-related charges under the Commonwealth Criminal Coded and looks forward to the matter coming to a conclusion," his lawyer Andrew Anderson said.

Succarieh, of Kuraby, south of Brisbane, has been in custody since September 2014, when the Islamic centre was raided.

He is the brother of Ahmed Succarieh, the first Australian suicide bomber who died in Syria in September 2013.

He had been denied bail amid claims he had viewed execution videos and terrorist propaganda online.

Omar Succarieh, from Logan in Brisbane's south, has been accused of sending $27,000 to his brother in Syria who police believe is fighting with the Jabhat al-Nusra.

Crown prosecutor Glen Rice told Brisbane Supreme Court in January last year there was evidence Mr Succarieh had been speaking to people fighting with terrorist groups in Syria.

"He has affiliations with persons associated with the conflict, on behalf of JN (Jabhat al-Nusra) in Syria, and declares his support for that conflict," Mr Rice said.

Mr Rice had argued Mr Succarieh was a "flight risk" because there was evidence to show the accused man hated Australia, referring to the country as a "sh**hole", "a curse" and "a disgrace" and wanted to leave.

At the time, Justice Peter Applegarth said although it was alleged Mr Succarieh's brother was fighting in Syria while his other brother Ahmed was killed as a suicide bomber in Syria in 2013, one could not immediately assume guilt by association.

He said Mr Succarieh was born in Australia, had close family here and had a good working history.

Mr Succarieh had allegedly been subjected to harsh conditions while in jail because he had been placed in solitary confinement, spent six weeks in an unpowered cell before being placed in a powered one and had no access to an exercise yard.

"I would regard these conditions as exceptional," he said.

But he dismissed Succarieh's application, saying that circumstances did not justify releasing him on bail.



Will house prices drop on the Northern Rivers?

premium_icon Will house prices drop on the Northern Rivers?

As property prices decline in cities, we look at the local market

LIST: Trading hours for businesses on Lismore Cup day

LIST: Trading hours for businesses on Lismore Cup day

What's open and what's closed for the half day public holiday

My dad has to puree his food because of shoddy dentures

My dad has to puree his food because of shoddy dentures

Casino woman says her father could have to pay $10,000 for repairs

Local Partners