Ten Things To Do This Week
1. Bangalow Billycart Derby and Mad Hatters Tea Party: Carts will roll and hatters are getting madder for this weekend. This communty activity has become a signature event for the Bangalow community. The tea party is a good old aschool fete with rides, food and coffee for parents, and it's the Bangalow Public School fundraiser. Racing and the fete start at 9am until 3pm.
2. Lismore Gemfest: Lismore Gemfest is the biggest annual event in the country devoted to lapidary and allied arts and is organised by the Lismore Gem & Lapidary Club Inc. Exhibitors come from all parts of the country and range from amateurs to the most experienced professionals. Everything from rough stone for cutting, through to finished jewellery in all price ranges, along with mineral specimens, fossils, gold nuggets and meteorites are to be found on display. There are gem sieving activities for children, demonstrations of jewellery making and other craft activities. At the Lismore Showgrounds, Alexandra Pde, North Lismore, Saturday and Sunday from 9am. $5.
3. Seventh Annual Antiques and Collectables Fair in Alstonville: Travel back in time and access a vast arrayu of antiques, jewellery, books, toys, furniture, collectables and vintage items from around the world, from 40 NSW and interestate dealers. There will be French polishing demonstrations and a vintage car display. Organised by the Rotary Club of Alstonville. At the Alstonville Leisure and Entertainment Centre, 42 Commercial Rd, Alstonville, this Saturday and Sunday from 9am to 4.30pm on Saturday and 10 am to 3pm on Sunday. $6.
4. 2016 Australian Senior League Baseball Championship: Lismore is proud to be hosting the 2016 Australian Senior League Championship. The sports event will feature twelve Senior League teams from across Australia over a six day tournament. At Albert Park, Lismore, from Saturday until May 19 from 8.30am. Free event.
5. Peggy Guggenheim, Art Addict: A feature documentary about the life of art icon Peggy Guggenheim, based on her sole authorized biography. Peggy was an heiress to the Guggenheim family who would become a central figure in the modern art movement. At the Star Court Theatre in Lismore this Sunday at 2.30pm and 5.30pm. $15.
6. Grigoryan Brothers: Australian classical guitarists Slava and Leonard are back with their latest show. For this tour, the Grigoryan Brothers will be performing works from their critically acclaimed 6th studio release, This Time, as well as a selection of works from their previous releases. At the Byron Theatre this Sunday at 5pm. $43.
7. Mullumbimby Country Music Social: Special guest this month will be Rene Diaz. At Club Mullum, Ex-Services Club, 58 Dalley St, Mullumbimby, this Sunday from noon until 5pm.
8. Melbourne Comedy Festival Roadshow: Join a rotating cast of the finest local and international comedy talents for an evening of comedy like no other. It's silly, it's satirical, it's side-splitting. It's Australia's ultimate comedy road trip. Irish comedian Dave Callan heads a stellar cast that includes Becky Lucas, Tommy Dean, Rhys Nicholson and Nick Cody. At the Ballina RSL Club on Friday, May 20, from 7.30pm. $30.
9. The art of Nutter Buzacott: An exhibition of works by Nutter Buzacott (1905-1976) curated by the artist's daughter, Lee Dunn. The show spans from the late 1920s to the 1970s, tracing the legacy of this important but overlooked Australian artist. Much of the joy of Buzacott's work comes from how it provides a filter through which to understand the places and times in which he lived. His closely observed works portray people and landscapes with a signature authenticity. They are a series of glimpses into the Australia that he cared about. At the Lismore Regional Gallery, 131 Molesworth St, Lismore open now until June 4. Free event.
10. Cat Power: Cat Power, aka Georgia-born singer/songwriter Chan Marshall, returns to Australia this summer for a series of intimate theatre-only performances. Performing solo, the show will boast a whole swag of new material and old favourites ahead of new album recording this summer. At the Star Court Theatre, 126 Molesworth St, Lismore, on Thursday, May 19, from 8pm. $59.20.