Ten things to do this week
1. Railway Wonderland: The magical live theatre performance celebrating trains, our history and our community is back as part of the Norpa Season 2015. This weekend's performances have sold out. Shows Monday to Saturday, season closes November 7. For bookings call 1300 066 772 or visit the Norpa website. At the Lismore Railway Station, shows at 8pm. $49.
2. Byron Latin Fiesta: A festival of all things Latino is coming to the Northern Rivers. Parties, dance exhibitions and workshops mean that you can dance, enjoy the experts showing off their skills and learn some new moves. At the Byron Theatre and other venues today and tomorrow. For details visit the Byron Latin Fiesta website.
3. Alstonville Show: Roll up, roll up for line dancers, stunt bikes, cheer leaders and more at the Alstonville Show. All your favourites will be back at the 127th show. Today will kick off with the horse events at 8am, cattle judging from 9am, plus poultry exhibitions, woodchopping and firewoirds at 8pm. Great entertainment for the whole family at the Alstonville Showgrounds from 8am to 8pm.
4. Dunoon Village Blues: This year marks the 10th annual Village Blues Music festival at Dunoon Sports Club, and as usual features class and quality live music for all: jazz, blues, funk, and swing, all live, all free. Workshops are also a new feature this year with a kid's blues music workshop, a kid's circus workshop plus a harmonica / one man band workshop for the bigger kids of all ages. The line up this year features Legacy Blues with Michelle Fitness, local troubadour Juzzie Smith, local jazz musician Lucas Zorzo and his band, the shenanigans of The Blueskillet Rovers, Brisbane-based swing boogie maestro's Dezzie D & the Stingrayz plus groove masters The Ninth Chapter. A family-friendly, fun and free music event at the Dunoon Sports Club, 15 Cowley Rd, Dunoon, today from 2pm - 10.30pm.
5. The BACCI Spring Exhibition: The Ballina Arts and Craft Centre Inc 2015 Spring Exhibition showcasing locally made arts and crafts. Everybody is most welcome to come along to enjoy it and buy some fantastic locally produced items by some very talented artists. At 5 Regatta Ave, Ballina, today and tomorrow 10am - 3pm.
6. Rocky Horror in Eltham: Drag out your high heels or your best costume and head to the Eltham Film night for a Rocky Horror Picture Show extravaganza. The event will be part of the 40th anniversary of the film's release. The fundraiser will be held by the Eltham Community Foundation, a community-based, not-for-profit organisation primarily working towards saving the Eltham Railway Cottage from demolition. Dress up, don your best high heels, put on your make up (shave first if you have a beard) and have a great night. At the Eltham Hall today. Food from 7pm and film from 8pm.
7. Halloween in Nimbin: The Nimbin Bush Theatre is holding its annual Halloween Party, a celebration of nature, magic and the little people. This will not be an American-style Halloween, but more of a medieval faire to celebrate magic in the renewal of nature and the change of seasons. Come dressed in your most splendid and magical Halloween costume. It may be a faerie, a pirate, a troll or anything you like. Join the costume parade to win fantastic prizes. New this year is the chance to meet with the beautiful Queen of the Faeries and receive a nature spell to plant. Only a few are brave enough to steal treasure from the sleeping Troll. All this for an entry fee of $5 for grown-ups and $2 for children (under 15 years old). Gates open at 4pm.
8. Ballina Shire Relay for Life: Starting at 3pm today through to 9am tomorrow. The relay is a chance for the Ballina community to recognise and celebrate local cancer survivors, patients and their carers, to honour and remember loved ones lost to cancer and to raise money to help save more lives. Join the hundreds of Ballina Shire Residents who take part in Cancer Council's Relay For Life each year in the fight against cancer. At Kingsford Smith Oval, Ballina.
9. Melbourne Cup Extravaganza / WIRES Benefit: On the day of 'the race that stops the nation', the Phoenix Rising Cafe will host a classic Melbourne Cup cocktail party with live jazz, gourmet food, a fashion show of local designs and the day's races live on the big screen at the Nimbin Bush Theatre. $45 with $5 from each ticket donated to WIRES animal rescue. At the Phoenix Rising Cafe, 2 Blue Knob Rd, Nimbin, 10.30am - 5pm.
10. Cinema Under the Stars Ballina: Newcastle Permanent's Cinema Under the Stars is Australia's largest free outdoor cinema program and is coming to a town near you! Gates open at 5:30pm for a fantastic afternoon of family-friendly entertainment, with the big screen lighting up at sundown. This year's film in Ballina is animated hit Big hero 6 (2014). At Missingham Park, Ballina, on Friday, November 6. Movie at sunset. Entertainment from 5.30pm. Free event.