Tabulam wins, read all about it
TABULAM Public School took out the Newspaper of the Year gong at The Northern Star's Newspapers in Education Awards at Lismore City Hall yesterday.
After the ceremony the enthusiastic gaggle of budding reporters from Tabulam gathered around a mobile phone and yelled "we won!" to their friends back at school.
They also took out runner-up prize in the Best Story category for their article Tabulam Torrent, an account of the effects of the floods that ripped through Tabulam in January.
Tabulam teacher Rebekah Owens said the award was important for the school, which has just 56 students.
"The kids had been enthusiastic and involved all year," she said.
"They were so proud to be reporting to their own community."
Northern Star editor David Kirkpatrick said judging for this year's awards was very difficult as the overall standard was high.
"As an editor I'm always trying to find things that unite communities across the region and that's why I'm very proud of the Newspapers In Education program," Mr Kirkpatrick said.
NIE AWARD WINNERS
- Newspaper of the Year Award: Tabulam Public School
- Best Photograph: Empire Vale Public School
- High School Best Story: Casino High School
- Primary School Best Story: Vistara Primary School
- Best Sports Story: Lismore South Public School
- Terrific Teacher Award: Empire Vale Public School
- Best Community Story: Kyogle Public School
- Best Arts and Culture Story: Alstonville High School