Update on storm over Northern Rivers
UPDATE 5.17PM: The Bureau of Meteorology has updated their storm warning for large hailstones, destructive winds and heavy rainfalls.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce giant hailstones, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and destructive winds over the next several hours in parts of the Northern Rivers district. Locations which may be affected include Lismore, Tweed Heads, Murwillumbah, Byron Bay, Ballina, Casino, Kyogle, Brunswick Heads and Evans Head.
INITIAL: THE heat has been oppressive but hopefully the severe thunderstorm warning predicted by the Bureau of Meteorology at 3.47pm today, will bring some relief.
The warning is for large hailstones, heavy rainfall and destructive wind in the Northern Rivers, Mid North Coast, Northern Tablelands and parts of the Hunter and North West Slopes and Plains Forecast Districts.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce giant hailstones, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and destructive winds over the next several hours in the Northern Rivers and parts of the Mid North Coast and Northern Tablelands districts.
Locations which may be affected include Lismore, Grafton, Tenterfield, Yamba, Maclean, Woolgoolga, Sawtell and Dorrigo.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 6:50 pm.