Storm warning now only for parts of the Northern Rivers
THE warning from the Bureau of Meteorology has now been upgraded to include heavy rainfall, large hailstones and now damaging wind.
It has been downgraded to include only parts of the Northern Rivers.
INITIAL: THE Bureau of Meteorology has issued a Severe Thunderstorm Warning for heavy rainfall and large hailstones for people in the Northern Rivers, North West Slopes and Plains, Northern Tablelands and parts of the Mid North Coast and Central West Slopes and Plains Forecast Districts.
This was issued at 11.34am.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Lismore, Grafton, Armidale, Tenterfield, Tamworth, Gunnedah, Moree, Narrabri and Dorrigo.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover.
- Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
- Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
- If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
- Unplug computers and appliances.
- Avoid using the phone during the storm.
- Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
- For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 2:35 pm.