UPDATE: Storm downgraded to damaging winds.
THE storm warning has been downgraded to damaging winds.
The next storm warning from the Bureau of Meteorology will be at 10.55pm.
SEVERE thunderstorm warning for damaging wind and large hailstones.
For people in the Northern Rivers, Mid North Coast, Hunter, North West Slopes and Plains, Northern Tablelands and parts of the Central Tablelands, Central West Slopes and Plains and Upper Western Forecast Districts.
Issued at 6:12 pm Friday, 18 March 2016.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Lismore, Grafton, Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie, Taree, Newcastle, Gosford, Armidale, Tamworth and Moree.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 9:15 pm.