Star rue the one that got away

NORTHERN Star let slip its JH Williams League hockey final hopes after slipping to a 3-2 defeat at the hands of Waratah at the weekend.

Captain Thomas Vantaggiato copped a hit to the hand in the opening minute from friendly fire but soldiered on to try and lift his team.

Waratahs opened the scoring three minutes in when Tim Willis converted a penalty corner with a drag flick that gave Aaron Head no chance.

The first half ebbed and flowed with both sides failing to capitalise on their opportunities.

One minute from the break, however, Star’s Matt Harmon brought his side level with another class drag flick penalty corner conversion. And, just minuted into the second half, Matt Harmon, with a Buchanan-like back stick, put Star in front.

But, just 10 minutes later, and against the run of play, the home team levelled the score. Star were persistent in Waratah’s goal area but couldn’t break through, forcing the game into extra time and drop off.

Unfortunately for the visitors, Waratahs were awarded a penalty stroke after the ball came off a defender’s body behind the goal-keeper, and they made no mistake.

Star’s best was Matt and James Harmon, Scott Dunn and Daryl Hughes.

CAPRI did not have it all their own way in their semi-final against Burleigh, but toughed it out to 2-1 in extra time and drop off. Capri and Waratahs will now play off in next Sunday’s grand final.

Easts lead the way over A’ville

IN local hockey, Alstonville were on top of East Lismore early and led midway through the first section after Mitch Harley converted a penalty corner and took that lead into the break.

However, Easts dominated the second half and early in the half levelled the score with a field goal to Dan Riley after a good period of possession. Easts soon led 2-1 after Alex Gale finished off another glut of possession and with 15 minutes to go Alstonville drew level via Joey Beohm and looked to have the goods. They were all over East Lismore for a period but could not maintain the pressure.

Easts got their third goal with five minutes to go after Simon Mackney executed a brilliant back stick shot from the top of the circle, then Matt Rodda converted a penalty corner after the whistle to with a drag flick to win the match 4-2.

Three, two and one points went to Dan Riley (Easts), Alex Mckendrick (Alstonville) and Matt Rodda (Easts).

CORAKI were on fire and did not give an under-strength Ballina much of chance in their match; you have to give Ballina points for effort but they need their players on the park.

Scott Gallagher finished off a set play to open the scoring in the 15th minute and David Brown made it two soon after. Gallagher got his second just before half time to make it 3-0 at the break.

Mitchell Dunstan was in everything and gave his side every opportunity and was one of Coraki’s best.

Ben Moss finished off a great solo effort from Dunstan to make it 4-0 seven minutes into the section.

Danny Seymour kept the score respectable and was inspirational in the net for Ballina. David Brown got his second goal, deflecting off a Ben Moss shot. Moss gave Seymour no chance in a one-on-one to make it 6-0 with a solid shot into the back of the net.

Three two and one went to Seymour, David Brown and Tony Meldrum but Mitchell Dunstan was a stand out.

Woman plucked from crumbling cliff by volunteers

Woman plucked from crumbling cliff by volunteers

"She was scared that if she moved she’d fall down the cliff face"

25 extra firefighters coming to help battle bushfire

25 extra firefighters coming to help battle bushfire

Bushfire near Casino listed as "out of control"

Hackers steal RMS payments from highway contractors

Hackers steal RMS payments from highway contractors

Hackers redirected payments to their own accounts

Local Partners