Something to give Grafton a 'wow' factor
WE AT The Daily Examiner think Grafton needs a new thing.
Not a retail store, or another cafe.
Not a new cinema or a new shopping centre - but something to give those who come to Grafton the real experience.
We have an amazing river that hardly gets used, plus a wealth of potential areas of development, yet we lack something.
We want people to come to Grafton and say to their mates 'wow, make sure you check out this when you go to the Clarence Valley' or 'make sure you stop into Grafton for this when you drive through'.
So The DEX - with your help - is going to create a business plan of this new thing for the Jacaranda City.
We have come up with a few ideas, but we want you to tell us what you want.
Here's a few idea to get you started:
- A brewery or beer cafe - check out the Bavarian Bier Cafe online if you haven't been to one. Think big steins, boutique beers, barmaids in Oktoberfest-style costumes and a big cow bell the staff ring when you order certain drinks = very fun.
- Cider town - Cider is all the rage and is continuing to grow in popularity, so why not have a cidery on the river? Grafton already has a tonne of pubs, but this is something different for the locals as well as a tourist attraction.
- A cable-ski world - How many of us would love to get out on a wakeboard or set of skis at the weekend, but don't have a boat to hit the water? Imagine how busy it would be over the summer holidays with holiday goers heading in from Yamba to spend the day.
- Fun park - Think realistically, but what about a place where kids can go nuts, while parents sit back and enjoy a coffee. Maybe an enclosed swimming area into the river with a giant slide or water trampoline?
- River cruise - One of Grafton's biggest attractions is the river, so why not cruise of the river with a band and three course lunch or dinner? Stop off at different sites for a swim or a coffee, then jump back on the boat.
- Railway tour - What a great way to see the region - on an old steam train complete with food and beverages, and the best part - you just sit down and take in the surroundings.
- Fishing hub - a place where fishermen and women can pitch a tent, cast a line, do day trips to local spots with fishing lines and bait at the ready.
Vote on which one you think would best suit our region, or leave a comment below with your suggestion.
What new business venture would you like to see developed to attract people to the Clarence Valley?
This poll ended on 27 January 2014.
Brewery or beer cafe
Kid's fun park
Other - please leave a comment indicating your idea
This is not a scientific poll. The results reflect only the opinions of those who chose to participate.