Soldier memorial carved in stone
THE memorial to about 40 soldiers from the Richmond Valley who perished at the infamous Sandakan POW Camp in North Borneo is a step closer to realisation after the cutting of the sandstone on Wednesday by Ray Eggins and his workers.
The Northern Star has previously reported it was important that all men from the then Lismore/Terania shires be honoured on the proposed memorial to be erected in Commemorative Park, Lismore.
Rotary past district governor, Brian Wheatley, said it was important that all conditions for the memorial were met before sourcing material for its construction.
“One option was to use a natural rock fromLionel Phelps' property, but on his advice wedecided on sandstone,” he said.
“The memorial will provide the men's families with a place to honour their memory, including Lionel's dad, who was one of those who perished in Sandakan.”
The Governor-General, Quentin Bryce, willunveil the Lismore Sandakan Memorial on August 27, the 65th anniversary of the murders of the last inmates of Sandakan, 12 days after the surrender of the Japanese.