53mm of rain has fallen near Coraki
UPDATE 7.30PM: THE Northern Rivers have been getting a good soaking with plenty of lightning and thunder.
While the severe thunderstorm warning has been cancelled in the North West Slopes and Plains district and Northern Tablelands there is still a warning for Lismore, Tweed Heads, Murwillumbah, Byron Bay, Ballina and Kyogle.
There has been 53mm of rain fallen in 30min to 6.35pm near Coraki.
Wind gusts of 81km/h were recorded at Lismore Airport at 6.24pm.
5.30pm: The BOM has updated their warning at 5.22pm to exclude the Mid-North Coast.
Areas that are still affected over the next several hours include:
- Evans Head
INITIAL: THE Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe thunderstorm warning containing heavy rainfall, large hailstones and damaging winds.
The warning is for people in the Northern Rivers and parts of the Mid North Coast, North West Slopes and Plains and
Northern Tablelands Forecast Districts.
The warning was issued at 4:05 pm Saturday, March 26 2016.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding, large hailstones and damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Lismore, Grafton, Tenterfield, Glen Innes, Casino, Kyogle, Coraki, Alstonville, Tabulam, Evans Head, Yamba and Maclean.
Things to do:
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 7:05 pm.