Severe thunderstorm warning for parts of the Northern Rivers
AREAS of Kyogle Shire, Tweed Shire and the Nimbin district have been warned to brace for severe thunderstorms over the next several hours.
The Bureau of Meteorology warning was issued at 1.59pm
Areas likely to be affected include Kyogle, Wiangaree, and Urbenville, Nimbin, Tweed Heads and Murwillumbah.
Over the next several hours the thunderstorms are likely to produce large hailstones, damaging winds and heavy rainfall and possible flash flooding.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 5:00 pm.
Warnings are also available through TV and radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 218.