Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Northern Rivers
DESTRUCTIVE storms will threaten the lower parts of the Northern Rivers and New England region over the next several hours, the Bureau of Meteorology has warned.
The severe thunderstorm warning was issued just before 5pm.
Northern Rivers locations particularly likely to be affected include Casino, Lismore, and Grafton.
The weather event is likely to produce destructive winds, large hailstones and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding over the next several hours.
The warning covers a huge swathe of NSW including the Northern Rivers, Northern Tablelands, and parts of the Mid North Coast.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 7:35 pm.
Warnings are also available through television and radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 218.