Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Northern Rivers
INTENSE thunderstorms bringing heavy rain and hail have begun tracking across the Northern Rivers, following the release of a severe weather warning from the Bureau of Meteorology.
The Bureau warns severe thunderstorms are likely to produce large hailstones and damaging winds across the Northern Rivers over the next few hours.
Places particularly likely to cop the brunt of the storms included Lismore, Grafton, Tenterfield, Yamba, Maclean and Dorrigo.
Only minutes after the warning was issued, the Bureau's weather radar is already showing strong storm systems crossing the region. One strong system is now passing over Casino and appears to be headed at Lismore, Coraki, and Evans Head.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The Bureay says it will update the storm warning at 4.10pm.