Storm warning for Northern Rivers and Northern Tablelands
THE Bureau of Meteorology has put out a severe thunderstorm warning for large hailstones, heavy rainfall and damaging wind.
The warning has been issued fo people in the Northern Tablelands and parts of the Northern Rivers, Mid North Coast, Hunter, Metropolitan, Illawarra and Central Tablelands Forecast Districts.
This warning was issued at 3:49 pm today.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce large hailstones and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding over the next several hours in the Northern Tablelands and parts of the Northern Rivers, Mid North Coast and Hunter districts. Locations which may be affected include Grafton, Armidale, Tenterfield, Yamba, Maclean and Dorrigo.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 6:50 pm.