Northern Rivers battered by storms
UPDATE 5pm: HERE at the Lismore Northern Star office there has been plenty of thunder rumbles and lightning.
Winds were gusting and the leaves looked like brown snow as they tumbled to the ground.
Evans Head has been impacted with the weekly touch football cancelled and Casino looks like it is about to get hit again.
Remember to stay safe and indoors where ever possible.
INITIAL: THE entire Northern Rivers has been issued with a severe thunderstorm warning by the Bureau of Meteorology.
The warning was issued at 3.26 pm.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce large hailstones and damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Lismore, Grafton, Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie, Sawtell and Dorrigo.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 6:30 pm.