School holiday activities to take you up to the weekend
WE'VE reached week two of the school holidays and in case you are running out of activities to do with your kids, here's a helpful list to get some home and out-and-about ideas.
Out and about
- Make a wind-powered pinwheel at the Mobile Library in Nimbin on Thursday from 11am. It's a free activity for kids 3 years and over with their carer.
- Upcycle your holidays on Thursday from 9am until 1pm at the Lismore Recycling & Recovery Centre. There will be bus tours, guided walks, recycled art and craft, and kids get to operate a garbage truck. The centre is located at 313 Wyrallah Rd, East Lismore.
- Kidz Klub is on at the Lennox Head Sport and Recreation Centre Thursday and Friday from 9.30am or from 1pm. $20 per person. Call 6687 6291 for more information. 1 Mackney Lane, Lennox Head.
- Lennox Library School Holiday Craft. Cnr Macknay Ln and Park St. Free event on Thursday and Friday, call 6687 6398 for more information.
- Ballina Library School Holiday Craft. Free DIY mask making, at the library on 8 River St. Thursday and Friday. Call 6686 2831 for more information.
- Learn how to pot and plant vegetables. At the Ballina Fair, outside Target. For more information call 6686 8555. Friday, 10am until 2pm.
- School holidays on the farm. Open all week from 9am-4pm. Mini golf, Tractor tours, Waterpark and Playground Everyday. On Friday there will also be pony rides from 10am until 1pm for $4. At Summerland House Farm, 253 Wardell Rd, Alstonville. For more information call 6628 0610.
- Monday to Friday at Lismore Square there are free art workshops outside the old Bupa store and icecream decorating at Wendy's. 8.30am until 1.30pm. For more information call the centre on 6621 7461.
Visit the Macademia Castle for some fun with cute animals at the petting zoo, a train ride, frog conservation pod, their famous pancakes and more. You can also enrol your child in a school holiday workshop:
- Keeper for a day workshops for 12-18 years. Friday April 22. From 9am to 3.30pm. $125. Call to check workshop availability. Visit the website or call the Macca Castle on 6687 8432.
- Go for a drive to Tropical Fruit World at the Tweed, take a guided tour including fruit-tasting, a tractor tour, miniature train ride, a boat cruise and more. Or you can visit the Plantation Pavilion, a free area of the park which grants access to the fruit market, cafe, gift market, ice cream bar and juice bar.
- Go skating at Lismore Putt Putt and Skating, Monday to Friday in two hour sessions. 10am-12pm, 12-2pm, 2-4pm. Cost $9 per session or $16 for an all day skate. Skates hire is $3.
- Visit your local 10 pin bowling centre for one or two games plus arcade games, and a slushy or a meal. Centres in Ballina and Lismore.
- Let the kids build a fort inside. Use chairs as supports, cushions as weights and sheets as a roof.
Do some arts and crafts and baking.
- Decorate some cookies with colourful icing
- Get creative with an egg carton and some paint: cut it in half lengthways and make a caterpillar, use the whole thing as a seed starter or cut out the individual cups and use them for storage. You can find more egg carton ideas on Pinterest.
- Get the colouring pencils, textas or paint and paper out for some simple drawing. Kids could even trace their hands, find some different shaped leaves from the garden and trace those, paint paper plates or paint rocks and stones.
- Get out the family favourite board games. A bit of competition is healthy, right?
- Pitch a tent in the backyard and 'go camping' overnight. Open a bag of marshmallows and spend time as a family without technology.
- Play some backyard games - Nerf wars, backyard cricket, soccer, a picnic on the lawn.
- If you've been putting off planting an outdoor herb or vegetable garden, the school holidays are the perfect time to do so. Head down to Bunnings, buy some seeds or seedlings, get out in the garden and get planting with your kids.
- Don't forget it's okay to have quiet time. Put on a kids movie and enjoy some time to yourself or with your partner.