CLOSURES: Roads, parks and services closed due to fire
WEDNESDAY UPDATE: The Pacific Highway reopened overnight in both directions between Grafton and Ballina.
Motorists are still advised to avoid all non-essential travel with other road closures still in place:
• The Oxley Highway remains closed between Walcha and Wauchope.
• The Gwydir Highway is still closed between Bald Nob, east of Glen Innes, and Eatonsville, west of Grafton.
• Thunderbolts Way is closed in both directions between Nowendoc and Barrington Village.
• The Lakes Way is closed between the Pacific Highway and Failford Road
• Lower Creek to Yarravel - Kempsey Road (Armidale Road) is closed
• Clouds Creek to Coutts Crossing - Armidale Road is closed
• Between Krambach and Purfleet - The Bucketts Way is closed
• At South Taree - Saltwater Road is closed between Old Bar Road and Wallabi Point
• Rainbow Flat - Godfrey Hill Road is closed between the Pacific Highway and The Lakes Way
• Nowendoc to Knorrit Flat - Nowendoc Road is closed in both directions
• Crowdy Head to Harrington - Crowdy Head Road is closed
• Telegraph Point - Red Hill Road is closed from Rollands Plains Road and Cooperabung Range Road
• Upper Fine Flower - Clarence Way is closed between Carnham and Baryugil
• Buccarumbi to Bald Nob - Old Glen Innes Road and Old Grafton Road are closed between Buccarumbi Bridge (near Cunglebung Road) and the Gwydir Highway
Motorists are reminded that conditions can change quickly and roads can close at short notice. Motorists should follow directions of emergency services and traffic crews, and check the latest traffic information at www.livetraffic.com.
UPDATE 4.52pm; THE Pacific Highway is closed between Ballina and Grafton because of bushfires.
The highway is closed between Watsons St and Iluka Rd, residents only are able to access the township.
The Summerland Way is also closed at Woodenbong, between Mt Lindesay and the QLD border due to fire.
Smoke is impacting visibility.
Avoid the area or delay travel.
UPDATE 3.47pm: THE Pacific Highway is closed at New Italy between Watsons St and Carroll Lane. Motorists are advised to use the Summerland Way and Bruxner Highway as alternatives.
UPDATE Tuesday 1.05pm: SOUTHERN Cross University is closed due to the fire threat.
UPDATE 12.15PM: TWEED Shire Council has closed Mt Warning Road to prevent entry to Wollumbin National Park during the current fire emergency.
The NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) requested the council to close the road this morning until further notice.
The closure is at the gate approximately two kilometres past the Mt Warning Rainforest Park.
Visitors to the area are advised to check the NPWS website for up to date information before travelling at https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/
All national parks in the Northern Rivers region, including the major attractions of Mebbin National Park and Brunswick Heads Nature Reserve, have been closed due to the high to catastrophic fire risk.
Cape Byron State Conservation Area is the only area remaining open to the public.
For all closures, visit https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/alerts/alerts-list.
UPDATE 9.21am: THE XPT service has been cancelled between Sydney and Kempsey due to bush fires.
A limited coach service will operate between Kempsey and Brisbane only.
Original story: A NUMBER of roads are closed across the region due to bushfires.
On the Northern Rivers, Tuntable Creek Rd and Tuntable Falls Rd are closed to all traffic except those evacuating.
Residents from Tuntable Fals Community are advised to travel west towards Nimbin.
People in Terania Ck should travel south to The Channon.
Be advised conditions are changing quickly and roads can close suddenly.
Transport NSW said the following road closures are in place around the state:
The Pacific Highway has reopened between Cundletown and Kew overnight following bushfires across NSW over the weekend.
The highway had been closed between Princess St in Cundletown and Ocean Dr at Kew.
The Bucketts Way remains closed between Burrell Creek and Purfleet.
Motorists should continue to delay all non-essential travel in bushfire-affected areas as a number of other roads also remain closed.
- The Gwydir Highway remains closed between Bald Nob, east of Glen Innes, and Eatonsville, west of Grafton.
- Motorists can use the Bruxner Highway or Waterfall Way instead, however, these routes are not suitable for B-doubles.
- The Oxley Highway remains closed between Walcha and Bago.
- The New England Highway in Bolivia Hill is also closed due to a number of large trees needing to be removed in the single-lane section of the highway.
- Other road closures still in place due to the bushfires include:
- Failford/Rainbow Flat - The Lakes Way is closed between the Pacific Highway and Failford Road
- Failford - Failford Road is open to local traffic only from Forster/Tuncurry to Nabiac
- Wallabi Point - Saltwater Road is closed between Old Bar Road and Wallabi Point
- Crowdy Head to Harrington - Crowdy Head Road is closed
- Telegraph Point - Red Hill Road is closed from Rollands Plains Road
- Deep Creek to west of Lower Creek - Kempsey Road is closed
- Tingha to Guyra - Guyra Road is closed
- Clouds Creek to Coutts Crossing - Armidale Road is closed
- Upper Fine Flower - Clarence Way is closed between Carnham Road and Baryugil
- Buccarumbi to Bald Nob - Old Glen Innes Road and Old Grafton Road are closed between Buccarumbi Bridge (near Cunglebung Road) and the Gwydir Highway
- East of Nimbin - Tuntable Falls Road and Tuntable Creek Road are closed
- Motorists who need to travel in bushfire-affected areas should be prepared for conditions to change quickly, and follow the directions of emergency services and traffic crews.