Richmond-Tweed high for youth unemployment. We list five jobs available now.
THE Richmond-Tweed region has come off fifth worst for youth unemployment in NSW with a rate of 17.4%, more than five points above the state average.
A snapshot of Australian Bureau of Statistics data analysed by anti-poverty organisation the Brotherhood of St Laurence for its Australia's Youth Unemployment Hotspots: Snapshot showed that youth unemployment in NSW hit 12.2% the year to January.
This rate is for 15-24 year olds and is more than twice the overall unemployment rate in NSW of 5.2%.
Nationally, the youth unemployment rate is also 12.2%, down from a high of almost 14% in December 2014, but stillw ell up on the level before the global financial crisis in 2008, when it dipped below 9%.
A new snapshot has mapped unemployment 'hotspots' for those aged 15 to 24 in NSW - with some regions near or above 20 per cent.
Regions in NSW with higher rates of youth unemployment than Richmond-Tweed include:
- 21.8% in the Hunter Valley (excluding Newcastle)
- 19.5% in the Mid North Coast region, Kempsey, Port Macquarie, Taree
- 18.4% in the Southern Highlands and Shoalhaven region, including Nowra, Mittagong, Ulladulla
- 18.1% in the New England and North West region, including Armidale, Inverell, Moree, Tamworth
In last Saturday's Northern Star the following jobs were listed that young people could apply for:
- Macadamia Processing Plant - Multiple positions available with shift work in the warehouse, cracking room, production, value adding, colour sorter operator and bagging. Experience required: forklift licence preferred, sound numeracy, literacy and computer skills
- St Mary's Community Preschool Casino - Casual staff with qualified Cert III, Diploma and EC teacher.
- Casual Bar attendant - Mostly afternoon/evening shifts
- Dental Assistant - Part-time in Lismore
- Kyogle Council - Labourer
Training course include:
- Chemical spraying
- Chainsaw operations
- First Aid
- Fall trees manually
- Barista/Safe Food Handling
- Food Safety Supervisor