Menu
News

Residents lament store loss

KYOGLE'S streets were lined with sympathetic onlookers on the weekend as demolition began on the iconic main street building that was destroyed by fire last week.

At about 9pm on Wednesday night, the Macdade and Family Furniture and Homewares store on Summerland Way was engulfed by flames, incinerating everything inside.

The fire gripped the town and rallied the community behind the store's local owners.

On Saturday morning, locals lined the Summerland Way as they waited in anticipation to see the charred shell of the building begin to disappear.

ACRO Demolition owner Mark Bridges said due to the instability of the building, the job had a elevated risk.

"The two (outside) retaining walls are leaning outwards which is a real concern for us because of a risk to property damage to the adjoining structures," he said.

"It is very delicate as there are a couple of very high risk areas at the back of the building.

"The priority is making the structure safe so we can open the Summerland Way up again."

Workcover NSW was also at the demolition scene.

Excavators piled bits of burnt debris into the back of a truck while workmen knocked down small sections of the brick wall at the front of the shop on Saturday morning.

Rebecca Scott and her husband, Craig Parremore, owners of neighbouring business The Saw Spot, were evacuated from their business and their adjoining home after the fire started.

Mrs Scott said they would not be able to go back into their home until the area was made safe.

"It is sad that the building is gone but it was obviously built well as it was contained," she said.

Long-term resident Ruth Graham watched the demolition from the street.

"It's going to be a shame to see it go," she said.

"I have been here for 48 years and I got all my furniture there when I got married."

Linda Macdade told The Northern Star this week that she was determined to get the businesses running in a new premises as soon as possible.

Topics:  building demolition fire store



VIDEO: Cycling video secures driver conviction

VIDEO EVIDENCE: A motorcyclist has lost his licence for 18 months after his assault on two cyclists in June 2017 was captured on a rear-light bicycle video camera.

Motorcyclist loses licence after cyclist assault

Haul of dead sharks met with outrage

SAD SIGHT: Laelia Gardner captured photos of culled sharks at the Tweed Bar.

Decapitated and left to rot in the heat, 15 sharks found dead

Our commitment: We're for you

Queen Elizabeth outside the Gollan Hotel in Keen Street, in 1954.

We've done it for 141yrs, marked history and plotted the future

Local Partners