Rescue squad saves pooch trapped for hours in rabbit hole

Three Casino Rescue Squad members spent hours rescuing Misha the four-year-old Maltese-Cross.
Three Casino Rescue Squad members spent hours rescuing Misha the four-year-old Maltese-Cross. Contributed

IT TOOK three squad members, a chainsaw and several hours to rescue a four-year-old Maltese Cross from a rabbit hole.

Kathleen Newman, her kids and Misha the dog were visiting family north of Casino at Stratheden yesterday when they realised something had gone wrong.

"We were up near the house and could hear Misha barking," Ms Newman said.

"She had gone down the rabbit hole, which she always does, and for some reason she got stuck."

She said the rabbit hole was near an old fig tree in the backyard.

"It turned out she was stuck in the roots under the ground," Ms Newman said.

"She would have been there for about an hour before we realised."

Her mother then called the Casino Rescue Squad.

"They had to use a chainsaw to cut away the roots of the tree," Ms Newman said.

The operation took hours, but at about 4pm the squad was finally able to get Misha out.

"At one point we thought we lost her because she was whinging and barking for a couple hours at the start and then she just went quiet," Ms Newman said.

"Eventually we could see her and she was okay, just exhausted.

"It was so hot yesterday, but thankfully it was cool under the ground."

Ms Newman said she wanted to thank the rescue squad and a close friend who came to help Misha.

She said the family would be cementing in the rabbit holes to prevent this from happening again.

Topics:  dog pets rescue trapped

Missing swimmer on north coast, search underway

HAZARDOUS SURF: Surf lifesavers are pleading with the public to stay out of the water this weekend after one of the biggest rescue days occurred on Saturday and swimmer is still missing on the north coast.

Hazardous surf warning and one swimmer missing

Ute and truck smash on highway

CRASH RESCUE: At 2am on Sunday the Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter was called out to a crash involving a ute colliding with a truck on the Pacific motorway near Brunswick Heads.

Pacific Highway blocked after ute and truck smash

Ferry return to service delayed

No Caption

Service will not resume as expected

Local Partners