Hospital calls police over toddler’s injuries

Police outside the Capalaba home
Police outside the Capalaba home

A CHILD was allegedly tortured and sexually assaulted and left in a critical condition after police say she was set upon by her mother's boyfriend in a house in Capalaba.

The three-year-old girl was taken to Redlands Hospital with what is understood to be critical external and internal injuries about 8pm on Thursday. Her mother took her to hospital.

Police said the girl had serious injuries to her head, arms and legs.

The Courier-Mail has been told hospital staff were so concerned with her injuries they immediately called police who launched an investigation.

Police have charged a man, 25, with nine offences including torture, grievous bodily harm, sexual assault, leaving a child under 12 unattended, two counts of assault occasioning bodily harm, breach of a domestic violence order and drug offences.

Police scour the Capalaba home today.
Police scour the Capalaba home today.

Police allege the torture and sexual assault took place between 7.30am and 5.30pm when the child's mother was at work yesterday.

A neighbour is understood to have heard screaming from the house during the incident.

Other neighbours in the quiet street were shocked and said there was an incident about two months ago that spilt on to the street.

"She is a cute little muffin that didn't deserve this," a neighbour said.

"The mother obviously cares for the little girl. She looked well cared for, well looked after, beautiful manners. A darling little girl."

Officers allege the man acted alone in the alleged incident and the girl's mother took the child to hospital after she got home from work.

The girl remains in a Brisbane hospital in a serious but stable condition.

The man is due to appear in Cleveland Magistrates Court today.

Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000

Topics:  child rape editors picks sexual assault

News Corp Australia

Missing swimmer on north coast, search underway

HAZARDOUS SURF: Surf lifesavers are pleading with the public to stay out of the water this weekend after one of the biggest rescue days occurred on Saturday and swimmer is still missing on the north coast.

Hazardous surf warning and one swimmer missing

Ute and truck smash on highway

CRASH RESCUE: At 2am on Sunday the Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter was called out to a crash involving a ute colliding with a truck on the Pacific motorway near Brunswick Heads.

Pacific Highway blocked after ute and truck smash

Ferry return to service delayed

No Caption

Service will not resume as expected

Local Partners