Red Cross Blood Service data breach affects 550,000 donors
THE personal data of more than half a million blood donors has been accessed by an unauthorised person after a security breach at the Red Cross.
The organisation is trying to contact 550,000 donors who have had the security of their personal information compromised.
The Red Cross said it had been made aware that a file containing donor information was placed on an insecure computer environment and accessed by an unauthorised person.
The file was part of an online application to give blood used from 2010.
Red Cross chief executive Shelly Park has apologised to donors and said, to her knowledge, all copies of the data had now been deleted and the risk of misuse of the data was low.
One of the answers that is in the Red Cross data breach:— Ben Grubb (@bengrubb) October 28, 2016
"In the last 12 months, have you engaged in at-risk sexual behaviour?'