Prisoners of war in Casino
DURING World War Two, Casino played host to hundreds of Indonesian Prisoners-of-War (POWs) who were interned at Camp Victory between 1942-1946.
Not much is left of the camp which fronted onto today's Summerland Way, near Reynolds Road, except some concrete slabs.
Many of the Indonesians came over with the Dutch, who had evacuated the Netherlands East Indies after the Japanese invasion.
Others were political prisoners or had been stranded in different Australian ports after the outbreak of war.
The camp was run by the Dutch, who encircled it with high barbed wire fences, 24-hour floodlighting and guards armed with Tommy guns.
Fast forward 70 years and the Australia Indonesia Association of NSW is inviting people to the Camp Victory Memorial Forum to be held at the Casino Community and Cultural Centre, on Saturday, October 24, 1pm.
It will be attended by the Indonesian Consulate, Ya Yan, along with a number of dignitaries, academics and community members.
The forum will be followed up with a visit to the Camp Victory site, where a recounting by the Casino & District Historical Society of the interactions with internees, description of the camp and some Indonesian cultural performances will take place.
Local residents are encouraged to bring along any photographs and memorabilia from the time and community partner Southern Cross University will provide a photographic scanner, available on site, to take copies and help facilitate recording of memories.
For further information you can email the historical society at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the museum in Walker Street.