Sydney 'bomb' woman now safe
UPDATE: SYDNEY police have safely resolved a situation in which an 18-year-old woman was attached to what was thought to be a bomb.
After the incident on Sydney's lower north shore entered its 10th hour on Wednesday night, Assistant Commissioner Mark Murdoch said the girl had been released from the device and reunited safely with her parents.
The device was still intact, he told reporters.
The girl is believed to have been attached to the device by a person at her home in Mosman since 2.30pm (AEST), with police negotiators and bomb disposal experts working to defuse the situation.
Mr Murdoch said there had been some previous interaction between the girl and the person who attached the device.
He declined to detail any demands made by the person.
11pm: A SERIOUS bomb scare in Sydney involving an 18-year-old woman believed to have an explosive device strapped to her body was unresolved at 10.30pm.
New South Wales Police Assistant Commissioner Mark Murdoch said police had not identified the device, which was "proving a tough nut to crack".
He would not confirm whether it was large or small, whether anyone had touched it, nor whether the incident could be described as extortion or armed robbery.
Police were pursuing broad lines of enquiry that involved other Australian agencies, the Australian Federal Police and international enquiries but no overseas agencies, he said.
No contact had been made with the person who left the device at the scene, and the operation was hastening slowly to ensure the young woman's safety.
"We're here for as long as it takes, and no I can't give you an estimate," Assistant Commissioner Murdoch said.
He said the spirits of the young woman were good.
"She's doing a great job keeping her emotions in check ... it's tough, but she's holding up well."
Her parents, who were not allowed to speak with her, were probably doing it tougher than she was, he said.
Assistant Commissioner Murdoch's briefing to the media - the last for the night - finished at 10.45pm.