Police inquiries into Jai's death
THE BODY of Jai Morcom will be released to his family today or tomorrow after an autopsy was performed on Tuesday.
While results of the post-mortem examination were expected yesterday, police said further tests were required before they could report on the findings.
This could be several weeks away.
The 15-year-old Year 9 student's death after a playground fight last Friday has rocked Mullumbimby High School, the town, and the region.
Police were yesterday continuing their investigations into the tragic incident and said they so far had only 'a few seconds' of mobile phone footage from the day, but it captured events immediately after the occurrence.
“We have been following a number of lines of inquiry and also some claims of eyewitness reports and mobile phone footage of the incident,” Tweed-Byron local area commander Acting Superintendent Owen King said in a statement.
“Detectives have been able to speak to a large number of school students but to date have only been able to establish the existence of a few seconds of mobile phone footage which portrays the aftermath of the incident,” he said.
Acting Superintendent King called for anyone with any other footage to come forward to police.
“Can I stress how important it is that investigators have access to all relevant eyewitness accounts and available footage,” he said.
He also asked for patience.
“I understand many friends, relatives and concerned members of the community are desperately trying to make sense of this tragic occurrence, but I urge everyone to be patient and not speculate about the cause of Jai's death,” Acting Superintendent King said.
Mullumbimby High on Tuesday sent out letters to parents, including details of counselling services available to students and families.
Education Department school education director for the North Coast region, Greg Cloak ,said the school had been overwhelmed with letters of support.