Poison warning for parents after 2500 kids hospitalised

PARENTS are being urged to keep poisons and cleaning goods out of the reach of their children, after a report showed nearly 2500 children were hospitalised last year after poisonings.

The annual report on poisonings from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission showed about 180,000 calls were made last year to the national Poisons Information Centre network.

It found the injuries children sustained from poisonous products ranged from skin irritations to eye damage, to severe internal burns from ingested toxic products.

Among the items the ACCC has urged parents keep out of reach of children were cleaning goods, pesticides and insect sprays, pool chemicals and household bleaches and herbicides.



Surfer fights off bull shark at NSW beach

premium_icon Surfer fights off bull shark at NSW beach

Lucky escape after freak encounter with shark at popular surf spot

62 shark sightings in 5 hours keep lifesavers busy

62 shark sightings in 5 hours keep lifesavers busy

DPI aerial patrols continue to report sharks chasing bait fish

PHOTOS: What $5 million buys you on the Northern Rivers

premium_icon PHOTOS: What $5 million buys you on the Northern Rivers

We take a snoop at some of our most exclusive properties

Local Partners