Girl gets 2nd degree burns from hot playground equipment
WHAT was meant to be a relaxing weekend family barbecue ended in a trip to the hospital for Tony and Cindy Maunders after their young daughter was burnt by scorching hot playground equipment at Tannum Sands.
Three-year-old Sienna had walked into the playground to the south of the surf lifesaving club on Saturday when she hopped on some of the equipment and seared her feet, resulting in second-degree burns.
Dad Tony said his daughter had screamed in pain as soon as she came into contact with the hot metal.
"We were at the esplanade playground at Tannum and Sienna ran across the sand, and I could see her jump up on one bit of the playground and then I heard her," he said.
"And she was tip-toeing through the sand and we had to ice her feet and take her up to the hospital.
"She's got blisters on the soles of her feet and under her toes and she's got partial second-degree burns."
Mr Maunders said he could not understand why the playground did not have a shade cloth to prevent such incidents.
"It's a popular spot there and 90% of the parks in town are shaded. It's crazy to now have a little girl with bandaged feet and second-degree burns," he said.
Luckily the blisters had not opened, reducing the risk of infection for Sienna, whose feet were wrapped in burn gauze and bandaged at Gladstone Base Hospital.
Mayor Gail Sellers said the Maunders had done the right thing by reporting the incident to council. It would now investigate and look at solutions to shade the playground and make it safer.
"We're always looking at upgrading our park and playground facilities and looking at shade structures and natural shade that can be implemented," Cr Sellers said.
"If people can let us know about these incidents then we can do something about it."