HOUSE FIRE: Queensland Fire and Rescue crews attended a house fire at Emerald on Sunday night.
HOUSE FIRE: Queensland Fire and Rescue crews attended a house fire at Emerald on Sunday night. Laura Telford

Phone charger causes house fire

A PHONE charger caused a house to catch fire on Garnet Street in Emerald on Sunday night.

The fire was reported to emergency services by someone driving past the property at 7.27pm.

Three fire crews had the fire under control and contained by 7.55pm.

The property was unattended at the time and no one was injured in the event.

The investigation is ongoing however emergency services suspect a phone charger which had been resting on a bed to be the cause of the blaze.

The fire caused damage to twenty percent of the property including a bedroom and an entertainment area.

Emerald Fire Brigade Acting Officer-In-Charge Peter Carroll said the event is a timely reminder for the public.

"We would like to remind the community that it is important to always be mindful about turning phone chargers off before leaving the house," he said.



BREAKING: People evacuated from Lismore Base Hospital

BREAKING: People evacuated from Lismore Base Hospital

A number of people have been evacuated this afternoon

Investigation continues after girl's tragic death

Investigation continues after girl's tragic death

Car is being mechanically examined as police wait on test results

Hopes new development won't stifle music scene

premium_icon Hopes new development won't stifle music scene

Venue hopes proposed development won't lead to noise complaints

Local Partners