Patients, staff 'not injured' during small fire at hospital

UPDATE, Thursday, 6.40am: THE health district says no patients or staff were in danger after an "electrical incident" at Lismore Base Hospital yesterday afternoon.

Acting chief executive of the Northern NSW Local Health District, Lynne Weir, said a fire crew was called to the hospital in relation to the incident, which involved a portable power unit belonging to a contractor in one of the wards.

"Hospital staff immediately extinguished the small fire, which was contained to the power unit," she said.

"Patients remained in the ward but were moved away from the unit."

Once patients returned to their rooms, the windows were opened "under instruction from the fire brigade" to allow smoke to escape the building.

"No patients or staff were injured," Ms Weir said.

"The windows on the ward are secured and can only be opened by staff utilising a special tool."

 

Original story: A NUMBER of people have been evacuated from Lismore Base Hospital.

A Fire and Rescue NSW spokesman said two fire crews were called to the hospital just before 1.30pm.

The initial call was to an automatic fire alarm activation, he said.

"It turns out there was a 12 volt inverter that had overheated at the hospital," he said.

"That created a small amount of smoke."

He said 14 people had been evacuated from the area as a precaution and firefighters were using a fan to ventilate the area.

He was unable to confirm which part of the hospital the incident occurred in.



Dying woman's carer in court over medical cannabis 'breach'

premium_icon Dying woman's carer in court over medical cannabis 'breach'

He acquired a larger amount of the drug because he was travelling

Delay in killer's manslaughter sentencing

premium_icon Delay in killer's manslaughter sentencing

The man won't be sentenced until the new year

New owners for iconic Ballina hotel

premium_icon New owners for iconic Ballina hotel

Couple will "do the right thing by the building, the community”

Local Partners