HEROIC ACTION: Three hospital staff saved a woman's life when she tried to exit an open window during an electrical incident at the Lismore Base Hospital.
HEROIC ACTION: Three hospital staff saved a woman's life when she tried to exit an open window during an electrical incident at the Lismore Base Hospital. Cathy Adams

Review underway: Patient tried to escape fire from top floor

UPDATE 3.30pm: FIRE and Rescue NSW has issued a statement with regards to a fire at Lismore Base Hospital that led to a female patient trying to exit a window on level 8.

It read: "Firefighters responded to an automatic fire alarm at Lismore Base Hospital on Wednesday, arriving on the scene shortly after 1.30pm.

"Firefighters investigated and found a portable power unit had overheated and produced a small amount of smoke.

"Approximately 14 patients were evacuated from the area while firefighters ventilated the smoke from the building.

"The premises were then handed back to hospital staff.

"It is standard procedure to open windows to help ventilate smoke from a building.

"Responsibility for the care of patients remains with the trained professionals at the hospital."

 

UPDATE 12.50pm: THE Northern New South Wales Local Health District confirmed a patient had to be restrained on Wednesday when she sought to escape during an "electrical incident" where a small fire sent smoke through some of the wards.

NNSWLHD acting chief executive Lynne Weir said a formal review of the incident has commenced.

"Northern NSW Local Health District has commenced a formal review of the circumstances of the unforeseen incident," she said.

"Patients remained in the ward but were moved away from the incident to safety (and) no patients were injured."

 

Original story: QUICK thinking by Lismore Base Hospital staff no doubt saved a life when they prevented a woman from jumping out a window on the eighth level of the building during an emergency incident.

The Northern New South Wales Local Health District confirmed a patient had to be restrained on Wednesday when she sought to escape during an "electrical incident" where a small fire sent smoke through some of the wards.

It is understood the woman was in the C-8 ward at the time.

NNSWLHD acting chief executive Lynne Weir said the incident occurred when the windows in the ward were opened under the instruction of the fire brigade to allow smoke to escape.

"A patient did try to exit through a window," she said.

"But hospital staff came to the patient's assistance and no-one was injured."

Ms Weir said the windows on the ward are always secured and can only be opened by staff using a special tool.

However, Brett Holmes, General Secretary, NSW Nurses and Midwives' Association said this was an incident which obviously required a review.

"The NSW Nurses and Midwives' Association expects there to be further investigation into this incident by hospital management," he said.

"We commend the quick-thinking nurses, whose diligence prevented the patient from any harm."

On Wednesday, Ms Weir said no patients or staff were in danger during the "electrical incident" at the hospital.

She said a fire crew was called in relation to the incident, which involved a portable power unit belonging to a contractor in one of the wards.

"Hospital staff immediately extinguished the small fire, which was contained to the power unit," she said.

"Patients remained in the ward but were moved away from the unit."

Once patients returned to their rooms, the windows were opened "under instruction from the fire brigade" to allow smoke to escape the building.



Highway work on hold over the Christmas break

Highway work on hold over the Christmas break

Traffic conditions on highway upgrade might make things easier

Dami Im's a dream coming to Ballina

premium_icon Dami Im's a dream coming to Ballina

The Australian-Korean pop-star will bring her tour next year

Two-year project transforms Kyogle's main street

premium_icon Two-year project transforms Kyogle's main street

"It will encourage more travellers to stop in, have a coffee”

Local Partners