Northern Rivers severe thunderstorm warning issued
THE Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe thunderstorm warning for large hailstones, heavy rainfall and damaging winds for parts of the Northern Rivers.
The warning was issued at 4.36pm this afternoon and comes after a media release from the Bureau warning of thunderstorm events for the next couple of days.
Lismore was mentioned in the warning.
93km/h (50knot) wind gust recorded at Condobolin AWS at 4:15pm
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 7:40 pm.