Tintenbar fire serves as reminder to be aware this winter

UPDATE 5PM: Tips to be fire safe in cooler weather

  • Never ever leave cooking unattended. "Keep Looking When Cooking"
  • Most importantly, have an adequate number of suitable smoke alarms installed throughout your home and make sure that you test them regularly.
  • Make sure you and all your family know two safe ways out of every room in your home.
  • Have a written home escape plan in case of fire and practice it regularly.
  • If you have a fireplace in your home make sure the chimney is clean, and its properly ventilated
  • If you have a fireplace always place a screen in front of it when in use.
  • Check electric blankets for damage or frayed cords before placing on the bed.
  • Take care to keep curtains, tablecloths and bedding away from portable heaters.
  • Keep wet clothing at least 1 metre from heaters or fireplaces and never leave unattended.
  • If you use a clothes dryer make sure you clean the lint filter each and every time you use it.
  • Only use one appliance per power point and switch off when not in use.
  • Always extinguish candles or any other open flames before going to bed.
  • Always handle candles or any other open flame with care.
  • Store matches or lighters in a secure place not accessible to young children.
  • Avoid the use of outdoor heating and cooking equipment inside your home. The use of this type of equipment indoors could lead to the build up of carbon Monoxide which could be fatal.

Source: Fire Rescue NSW

 

UPDATE 1.26PM: LAST night's Tintenbar house fire, in combination with a spate of cooler weather this week, has served as a reminder for people not to become complacent as we move into peak house fire season.

Statistics reveal that 43% of all fire fatalities occur in winter.

RELATED: Too many house fires on the Northern Rivers

Last year, 17 people lost their lives in accidental fire deaths across NSW.

In addition, firefighters responded to a staggering 4,070 house fires.

Fire and Rescue NSW Assistant Commissioner Mark Whybro said every day firefighters attend home fires that could have been prevented with a few simple steps and precautions.

"Sadly, this includes fires where people have been killed or seriously injured," he said.

"It can take just three minutes for a fire to take hold, but only seconds to prevent one. It can be as simple as turning off electrical appliances before you go to bed, keeping a close eye on pots and pans when you're cooking or cleaning the lint filter on the clothes dryer.

"The problem is complacency - people assume it will never happen to them. But I assure you it can. These figures speak for themselves."

Don't forget to check the batteries in your smoke alarms.
Don't forget to check the batteries in your smoke alarms. Cathy Adams

 

11.30AM:  FIREFIGHTERS spent more than three hours working to fully extinguishing a house fire at Sandy Flat Rd in Tintenbar last night.

Three Rural Fire Service brigades and the Ballina NSW Fire and Rescue brigade were called to attend shortly before 1pm.

Rural Fire Service Far North Coast operations controller Inspector Bob Wilcox said the house was fully engulfed in flames when crews arrived.

"We had brigades there from about 12.45 through until about 4am," he said.

Insp Wilcox said the occupants were already out of the building when crew arrived.

Ambulance and police were also on scene.

Fortunately ambulance were not required to treat or transport anyone.

Insp Wilcox said the house was an older weatherboard timber and iron house which are often quick to go up in flames.

He said the cause of the fire may have been electrical, however an investigation would be carried out by either police or Rural Fire Service.

Despite several hours spent extinguishing the house fire, Insp Wilcox said crews were called back about 6am this morning after the fire rekindled.

 

FRIDAY 7.30AM: A FAMILY home has been completely destroyed by fire at Tintenbar overnight.

Richmond Local Area Command Inspector Doug Conners said that shortly before 1am, emergency services were called to a home on farmland on Sandy Flat Road.

He said the family had been awoken by a cracking sound coming from outside the house, and found the front of the house alight.

They got out of the house safely and contacted 000.

Unfortunately, Insp Conners said, the house became engulfed in flames and was completely destroyed.

There "doesn't appear to be any suspicious circumstances," Insp Conners said.



'I'm going to behead you': Chilling words of armed attacker

premium_icon 'I'm going to behead you': Chilling words of armed attacker

Court hears of brutal bashing on isolated rural property

What local bands need to do to play at Splendour

premium_icon What local bands need to do to play at Splendour

Want to play at one of Australia's most popular music festivals?

SHOCKING ATTACK: War veteran bashed, robbed on Anzac Day

SHOCKING ATTACK: War veteran bashed, robbed on Anzac Day

Police are appealing for witnesses following the midnight attack

Local Partners